|Waaagh! Dakka Dakka Dakka Dakka!|
We rolled for the random mission and made up our own deployment to make things fit. We got the relic mission (like capture the flag). Carl got the point for first killed unit by killing one of Jons defilers with his first shots. It was our first experience of the new system with armour points. The defiler died from loss of armour. It was a strange experience being killed from immobilised results.
|Jon looking happy as usual.|
I found the whole armour points thing to be quite nice. I killed 2 razorbacks with glancing shots from my nob bikers and my dakkajets. Ian didn't like the fact that you now have to have even more dice or markers on your tanks. I like the new system because I tend to use more combat style armies and rarely take any high strength shooty units.
|This bloody thing just wouldn't die!!!!|
Combat is so much different now. I absolutely hate overwatch shots, it shreds my orks before they get into combat. Challenges are a mixed bag I think, it can really screw around with your squad leaders. A nob with a power klaw in combat can now get annihilated in a challenge or hide at the back and do nothing. Not really a good thing. I think challenges should have been kept to independent characters. Hammer of wrath isn't as good as I initially thought it was, I thought it was simply every charging model got an I10 hit but its only the ones that make it in base to base that get it. This messed up big time on my charge as the one model that I got into base to base was the one issuing my challenge, the challenge went ahead and stuff got moved. I also hadn't read about the whole piling in only on your initiative value. That was weird and messy. I thought you simply piled in by initiative and then work out the hitting not a case of actually moving when its your turn to hit. This being the case, nothing piled into my nob bikers to get hit by the I10 hammer of wrath as I'd planned. Oh well, it was all for learning anyway.
|Walkers seemed really fragile in this game. I hope that's not a trend I'll see continue.|
Things I've learnt so far:
- combats are dangerous to charge into, you can get shot to hell before you even get to hit things.
- flyers are cool but you need to think ahead about where its going.
- Look out Sir! is a pain in the arse. I liked the old wound allocation system just fine.
- Armour points are good. I used to hate getting a ton of glancing hits that do nothing.
- Armour 12 flyers, i.e. stormravens and vendettas/Valkyries are an absolute pain to try and kill now.
- Bikers rock. No more instant death on my toughness 5 nobs!
- Feel no Pain rocks on my nob bikers too. Lascannon to the face... don't care, didn't feel it lol.
- The leader traits thing is random and annoying. I got the scoring unit one for my leader, it was pointless for the game we played. Carl got a good one and I can't remember what Ian and Jon got. I think Jon forgot to even roll one.
- Don't play a 4 player game when you're learning a new ruleset.